Hugh joined CPMG in October 2000 after graduating from the University of Nottingham, but has previous experience with the practice after working for the summer of 1999. His academic qualifications, including a first class Bachelor's degree and a distinction at Diploma level, earnt Hugh a place in the architectural press's Top 100 Student Architects: Year 2000, and a prize from the Nottingham and Derby Society of Architects, awarded for the depth and content of his diploma project.
In November 2001 Hugh gained a distinction in his RIBA Part III Professional Practice Examination at the University of Nottingham.
Currently Hugh acts as a visiting design tutor at the University of Nottingham, for the undergraduate Architecture degree. Hugh became an Associate Director of CPMG in May 2004, and is involved with CPMG's Quality Assurance and Environmental groups.
Hugh has also worked abroad in Brunei for one year, between his two degrees, for Design Morphosiz architects. His experience there was largely based on site, overseeing the construction of a chalet development for the Royal Family, and the co-ordination of consultants involved in the construction of a new land reclamation and Marina project.
- A new purpose-designed primary school for Derbyshire County Council at Clay Cross.
- An extension of the Richard Morris Building for Loughborough University's Business School.
- Project Architect for Howes Replacement Primary School, Moseley Primary School, and new sixth-form centre, including a flexible drama and lecture auditorium to seat 280, for Coundon Court School and Community College in Coventry.
- Project Architect for a new school for Autistic and Special Educational Needs Pupils, in Melton Mowbray.
- Project Architect for the design of a new secondary school in Retford, as part of the Bassetlaw Schools PFI programme for Notts County Council.
- Project Architect for a new £3.4m Informatics Collaboratory for the Social Sciences for the University of Sheffield, which has been designed to maximise use of sustainable technologies such as stack-driven natural ventilation, passive solar heating, and heat recovery.
- Project Architect for new disabled access facilities, including a new stone-clad ramp and glazed lift, to the Grade II listed Mappin Building at the University of Sheffield.
- Project Architect for the refurbishment of the 20 storey listed Grade II* Arts Tower at the University of Sheffield. Phases 1 and 2 of this project valued at circa £1 million have now been completed.
- Design and competition entry for a new central area development at the rear of the Portland Building on the University of Nottingham's main campus.
- Assistant Architect for Dainton project for the University of Sheffield, in support of Nick Gregory and responsible for design and co-ordination of the major communal spaces including a new double height auditorium and an external glass atrium in conjunction with the internal and external finishes specifications.
- Assistant Architect on the Plant Sciences Laboratory project at Sutton Bonington for the University of Nottingham responsible for design development, including the preparation of drawings for the planning application.