North Cambridge School, Cambridge
Formerly known as ‘The Manor’ after The Manor Farm adjacent, the original school was purpose built in 1959 as a flagship school for Cambridge, with a pupil capacity of 460. The new £6m secondary school is a direct replacement of the original accommodation on the same site, and now caters for 750 pupils.
The school employs the efficient construction principles embodied in Wates Construction’s ‘Adapt Schools Solution’ whilst successfully balancing the sensitive requirements of Cambridge’s planning strategy. The school accommodation is arranged over two floors and minimises any single storey elements and the footprint on the site, thus maximising the efficiency of the construction.
- Interior Finishing
The design also makes efficient use of external hard spaces to ensure maximum multi-use functions, as well as an extensive soft landscaping strategy to maintain a feeling of openness across the site. It also creates rationalised circulation access for vehicles and pedestrians. The potential for future expansion has been considered and ‘built-in’ to the design strategy.